Everyone loves having warm and cosy carpeting in their home. That only makes it all the more upsetting when your carpet sustains some kind of damage. When these common incidents occur, it’s important to go about fixing them the right way, as using the wrong product or technique can damage the carpet further.
This is why we here at Jagers Carpets are happy to provide you with a simple guide for fixing common carpet damages! With our straightforward tips and tricks, you can fully restore your carpet to its former glory.
1. There’s Pulls in Your Carpet
Pulls occur when something catches onto one of the looped threads and drags it out of place. They tend to stick out, and can instantly ruin the lovely aesthetic of your carpet. Luckily, they’re one of the easier carpet issues to fix, so long as you have a pen and fabric glue (which you can buy online or in most craft stores).
Here are the step-by-step instructions for taking care of a pull in just a few minutes:
- Trim the pull if necessary.
- Carefully push the thread to one side, revealing the gap in the carpet of where it came from.
- Apply a very small amount of fabric glue to the gap.
- Slowly push the thread back into the hole using the tip of a pen.
- Leave to dry for however long stated in the fabric glue instructions.
There are a few things you can do to prevent your carpet from sustaining this kind of damage going forward. This includes having your pets’ nails trimmed regularly and putting furniture pads beneath the legs of your tables, chairs, etc.
2. Your Carpet Is Stained
Don’t feel too guilty about staining your carpet — we’ve all done it. The good news is, there doesn’t need to be permanent consequences for your minor accident. You can remove a stain using several methods. Of course, the approach you should take depends entirely on what type of stain you’re dealing with.
- Wine: Removing wine stains is much easier than you might think. Simply spray the stain with some club soda (or soda water) and then blot the spot with a clean microfibre cloth. Repeat this process until the stain is gone. This method works for most juice spills as well!
- Mud: Your impulse may be to start cleaning mud up right away, but you actually want to wait until the mud has completely dried. Once it has dried, gently scrape off as much of it as you can and follow up with a vacuum. We then recommend applying a detergent solution to the stain and letting it sit for about 10 minutes before you blot with a clean cloth. (We have a recipe for a detergent solution listed below!)
- Chocolate: Chocolate is similar to mud in the sense that it’s easier to remove when dry. Rather than waiting for it to dry, you can place an ice pack overtop to harden the chocolate faster. We then recommend scraping and vacuuming as you would with mud. Then, apply a detergent solution to the stain, leaving it there for five minutes or more before blotting with a clean cloth.
For the latter two, in particular, it’s essential to use a good detergent solution for the best results. A detergent solution isn’t something you have to buy in stores. You can make your own by mixing 1/4 teaspoon of liquid dish soap with one cup of warm water. That’s all it takes!
3. Your Carpet Is Wet
Wet carpets aren’t something to take lightly, as they can grow mould and begin to smell if allowed to fester. Fix wet carpets quickly by eliminating the cause of the moisture if possible, even if it requires calling a professional to address a leak or a busted pipe. Once you’ve addressed the water problem, begin using fans or a wet vac to dry your carpet, ideally within 48 hours of the carpet getting soaked.
Please note, if your carpet was soaked by water coming from flooding or sewage, it may not be safe to reuse.
Shop Carpets in Melbourne with Jagers Carpets
Looking for a carpet shop near you that can provide great service and valuable insights on all things carpet? If so, Jagers Carpets carpet store in Melbourne is here for you. In the decades since our founding, we’re proud to have become the premier carpet supplier in Melbourne. Our family-owned carpet shop sources excellent quality yet affordable carpeting that you’ll enjoy for years to come.
If you have any questions about our carpets or would like to request an online carpet quote, please feel free to call 03 9889 1111 or fill out our online form. Prefer to shop in person rather than browse carpets online? Visit our showroom in Camberwell at 1350 Toorak Rd!